Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Make change a habit!!


You have been working out for three months and have yet to see results. This makes you question why you even bother and sends your motivation out the window. If this is the case, it's time to re-evaluate your workout routine.

Truth be told, I have been here before. I ran 6 miles a day for 8 months. Every single day, I pounded the pavement down the Red River and sweated like a hyprocrite in church.  And, at the 3-month mark, I wasn't gaining or losing anything.  I never could understand why I wasn't seeing any tremendous results. Sure my legs were getting stronger but as far as weight goes I wasn't losing anything. I had hit a plateau and couldn't get over the hump. Why?  Because I needed a CHANGE! My body had adapted to this 6-mile run and I needed to do something different. It was working more efficiently with every step and I could easily run 6 miles. I needed more challenges!!!

Every day, people tell me they workout consistently but are seeing nothing.  Then I ask, "So what are you doing?" Their answer is always the same,"I run on the treadmill or I run on the elliptical or I've been walking."  My answer, "Get off and do something different!"

 The only solution=MUSCLE CONFUSION.
The goal is to confuse your muscles so you can avoid these terrible weight plateaus and keep getting results.

To create "confusion," you have to change your pace and make sure that you are exercising with your most intensive force.

Change the speed at which you perform! Run fast for 30 seconds then rest for 15 then do squats for 30 seconds then rest for 15. etc. etc. U get my drift!  Explosive speeds require recruitment of large, powerful, fast-twitch muscle fibers compared to doing exercise with controlled slower movements which only require smaller, weaker slow-twitch muscle fibers to be recruited.

Change your technique. The change doesn't have to be major for your body to notice a difference. If your doing chest presses widen your grip.  If you are doing squats widen your stance. If you are running, run faster for shorter periods or longer off-road. These simple changes in technique cause your body to stimulate different muscles. 


I'm no expert in Fitness but these are a few simple concepts that you can start applying today. Try it and see how you feel to perform exercises differently. Changing things up often to keep your body slightly off kilter, forcing your body to stimulate different muscles.

Programs I recommend: Tabita Method, P90x, Insanity!

Most importantly:  Just do something different every day!!! Do it consistently combined with clean healthy eating and this is a no fail plan!!!! 

BRING IT!
Rhianna

No comments:

Post a Comment